Thursday, September 29, 2011

Safe Harbor


One of my unforgettable childhood memories is the feeling of safety when I stepped through the door after a day of school. Elementary school presents so many new experiences. Just like every other child I was overwhelmed by the ABC’s and classroom dynamics. I walked six blocks to my neighborhood school rain or shine, many days through mounds of snow. When I returned to my home after a full day I knew I would be walking into a safe place. My home was my harbor. I felt anchored and secure.
For example, my Mom was a homemaker therefore I usually could smell dinner as it cooked on the stove. There was sense of safety in routine.  My Dad, a milkman, delivered dairy products door to door, trudging through the same seasonal weather day and night. Yes, night! He put in extraordinary hours. Dad came home bone-tired but, he always worked. He provided for his family at times holding three jobs. I was convinced of my security. My home was an anchor.
Lest you think I’m presenting an unreal picture, our family had problems, just like all do. But the care and love that filled the house won out. I see many blended and single-parent homes that offer incredible strength and assurance to their loved ones.
These life-forming memories influenced me as I began making my own home for my husband and three children. So, of course, when my fourteen grandchildren walk through my door I want them to experience that very same emotion and sureness. I have focused on several strategies over the years to aid me in my quest. More on that later…

No comments:

Post a Comment