![]() |
| Drafting the Declaration of Independence by Jean Leon Ferris History.com |
Being born in this nation is surely a gift. Studying lineage of my husband’s family this week reminded me that the younger generations are sometimes unaware of the trials of our ancestors. After all most of us are in this country because our folks migrated from Europe and other lands. Some were finally free from their indentured-servant status. Others were searching for religious freedom. Reasons for their decision to cross the sea were varied, but they all were filled with hope for a new beginning. I think the majority of people arriving on the shores of our great country were poor. So many were ill from the long, unpredictable ocean voyage. Family members often died on ship during the trip, grief interrupting their dream. Upon arrival the search began for work and land.
We have grown accustomed to the comforts and freedoms our republic has extended. It is easy to overlook the physical and emotional wars fought by our founders as they forged the constitutional path. The wars fought on our land cost dear lives. And today, our brave men and women wear our military uniforms to protect the homeland and set examples for other nations as they walk their foreign ground.
I don’t want to take for granted those who - loved, struggled, built, cried, served and died - before me. After all, their DNA, genetics and footprints are a part of me. I wish I could give them my thanks. One thing I can do is to appreciate their stories, always remembering their contribution and personal struggles. I must not forget!

No comments:
Post a Comment