Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day to Day Little Things


It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.  I’ve wrapped and mailed Christmas gifts destined for grandchildren several states away.  Christmas teapots are situated throughout my home.  As I sit at the piano I’m playing old Christmas favorites. “Here comes Suzy Snowflake, dressed in her snow white gown…., what fun!
Years ago I stressed over the shopping, baking, and planning.  Those days are gone; for the most part, I try to enjoy the little things about preparing for Christmas.  All the little things building up to another memory-making holiday are a chance to smile.  Whether I over-bake my thumbprint cookies or not, doesn’t matter in the least.    Forgotten details haven’t ruined a family Christmas yet.  Wrong-sized clothing gifts are exchangeable.  Who cares that my home-made gift has stitches straying from the intended seam!
 What matters to me is the giggle of a precious little one.  And, that special glance my husband, Joe, sends my way while opening his gift.  Especially treasured is hearing my Mom laugh when she’s tickled by something said by a grandchild or great-grandchild.   In addition, I permit myself to linger over mental, heart-warming memories of childhood Christmases with my two sisters and brother.  Even that famous Christmas my sister expected an engagement ring and got a powder/soap set.  Now we laugh with her, then we cried with her.  Yes, for me, it is all about the little things that add up to a future, heart-warming memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment